Welcome To My Gluten Free Website!

Welcome To My Website!

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Double-Chocolate Mocha Brownies




Oh how I wish you could have breathed in the incredible aroma of these brownies while they were cooking! And even better, I sure wish you could taste one still warm when cut. These are super easy, and soooo delicious. I was having a craving so badly for something chewy-fudgy-heavenly, and what else could satisfy that but Brownies!


This is an inspiration from Jeanne Sauvage's brownies - artofglutenfreebaking.com. If you haven't checked her out please do. The flour mix I used is Jeanne's and I use it with her permission.

While I was baking, AND yes, today I remembered to photograph the process, (see my blurrble from the GF Decedent Chocolate Cloud Cake), I was intrigued by the whole process of baking and how we perceive the foods that are our favorites. How they affect our selves, our lives and basically just how much food influences our daily well-being. For instance; if I don't have very dark chocolate on a daily basis I will feel anxious, even running to panicky without it. And I find myself deriving any number of ways and means to obtain some. Certainly I can bake something chocolate on any given day. But if I'm not home that becomes a moot point. Usually I carry some form of chocolate in my purse at all times-you know, exactly for these "panic" episodes. Frankly, this little delicious habit started quite a while ago for those oh-so-special days every woman must partake in monthly cravings and agony. How long ago was that you asked? Never mind. 

My daughters and I, (cause I taught them!), understand the importance of dark chocolate to the female population's well being. My oldest daughter Candice once told her Hubby Jon without so much of a smile or snicker, "If you value your life, do not ever touch my chocolate stash. Never." Needless to say he took her very serious! I shared with him and my newest son-in-law Matthew, that they would be oh so very smart to keep chocolate on hand at all times. Like in their pockets. They laughed. I laughed with them, and then said, "Seriously, keep it handy!" I'm positive that there would be less outbursts from our gender sisters if more sons, boyfriends, nephews, fathers, grandfathers and husbands would only follow that creed!

I am reminded of the TV show, Who's Line Is It Anyway, of either Colin or Ryan in whatever sketch they were in at the moment, of calming the other one down by stroking their head, "reaching" into their pocket and bringing out some sort of satisfying morsels to feed the panicky one like a horse, all the time whispering little nuances and assurances to ease and calm. As long as they give us chocolate they can whisper what ever they want! Right!? Right!

While I was mixing the brownies today I was reminded of skipping rope games from elementary school. This has come to mind many other times, and always when I'm adding dry ingredients to wet while my stand mixer is running. You remember, two girls would be holding the rope and either swaying it back and forth, or twirling it over and over. Then the "skipper" would have their hands up in front of them, swaying back and forth with their bodies to anticipate the right time to jump in. That's how I feel about the process of adding dry ingredients to a running mixer. If you add it too soon you and the kitchen are decorated, but if you wait and anticipate just at the right time, you have little more than a slight "poof" of a cloud! I noticed also that I sway back and forth while anticipating! Do you?

So on to the delectable  - 

Gluten Free Double-Chocolate Mocha Brownies!          Makes 9 servings. Well, maybe 6!
  Jeanne's Gluten Free AP Flour Mix:
1 1/4 cups. brown rice flour
1 1/4 cups. white rice flour
1 cup tapioca flour
1 cups sweet rice flour
2 scant teaspoons xanthan gum

Mix together and store in a cool place, or the fridge.


Brownie Ingredients:
3/4 cup Jeanne's GF AP Flour Mix -  Or any of your favorite kind
1 teaspoon instant espresso powder - I use King Arthur's www.kingarthurflour.com or Star Bucks
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 Teaspoon baking powder
4 ounces (half a cup) dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips, or chopped chocolate
8 Tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon chocolate extract - I use Nielsen-Massey - www.nielsenmassey.com
or
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Options:
4 ounces (half a cup) dark or semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped nuts 

Pre-heat oven to 350˚ F. 
You'll also need:
8" x 8" baking pan
cooling/wire rack
16" x 8" strip of parchment paper
non-stick spray
Pan directions: spray bottom and four sides of the pan, lay the parchment strip to line the bottom and up 2 of the sides. These will be your "handles" to help remove the brownies after cooking. See the photo.
Directions:
1. In a small bowl mix the dry ingredients. Set aside.
2. In a double boiler, or a heat proof bowl/pot set over a smaller pot (the bottom of the top one should not touch the water in the bottom one), melt the butter and 1/2 cup of chocolate chips over simmering water. Whisk until well blended and glossy. Let cool a bit.
3. In the stand mixer bowl beat the eggs and sugar until the mixture is glossy smooth and pale yellow. Add the extract of your choice and beat until incorporated.

4. Carefully add the chocolate to the butter mix by drizzling in about a 1/4 cup down the inside of the bowl. Beat this well and then drizzle in the remaining chocolate (this step tempers the egg-sugar and warm chocolate so you don't wind up with scrambled eggs in your brownies).
5. Turn the mixer down on low.  If you are adding extra chocolate chips or chopped nuts, mix them with the dry ingredients and add the dry ingredients in thirds to the chocolate mixture. Beat well, scraping down the sides of the bowl.


6. Pour brownie mix into the prepared pan and bake for 30-40 minutes. We like our brownies fudgy and chewy, so we bake ours for the minimum time required. Adjust the time to your likes. Remove from the oven, (leave them in the pan), to a wire cooling rack and cool for about 20-30 minutes. These need a bit of time to set before cutting. Gently cut the brownies along the two non-parchment sides. Then grasp the "handles" and gently lift to your cutting surface.
Tops will be gloriously crackled, 
and the insides tender and full of chocolate flavor!



Enjoy!



















No comments:

Post a Comment