Welcome To My Gluten Free Website!

Welcome To My Website!

Sunday, August 24, 2014

GF Miracle Rice-Bran Muffins
There's a well known restaurant chain here in So Cal that really does great honey wheat-bran muffins. Greg eats one every time we go there which is usually after church. Before I was positively tagged as gluten intolerant I would enjoy a few bites of this muffin as well. And always with disastrous results (if you know what I mean!) Extreme gastric discomfort. 'Nuff said?

The flavor and texture of those muffins are awesome. Before I had to cut out all gluten I had made a honey wheat-bran muffin to rival theirs. I really thought I was loosing everything by cutting out all gluten. But not any more!
I've decided that I don't miss wheat flour products any more, that I can make phenomenal products without it. And the really interesting thing is that people that are not gluten intolerant are greatly fooled. They think they can't get along without it, that they would suffer terribly. Okay I can relate since I thought that also, but, how many incredible baked good products do they have to eat in order to realize that there is life without wheat? Everything I've made and shared with most of them has been scrumptious, according to them. Especially extolled by them. 

So I will continue playing and baking, sharing and enjoying, and best of all eating gluten free goodies, immensely.

In this recipe I am suggesting that you use aluminum free baking soda. I've noticed a slight bitter taste and smell from baked goods using either a well known brand or even "house brands." So I've read up about it and bought Bob's Red Mill Aluminum Free Baking Soda. This is the one that I used in this batter and I do not detect a bitter taste or smell. There are other brands you can use, I just wanted to share what was successful for me.  : )

I use a digital kitchen scale to weigh all of my baking ingredients. This is supremely better for accuracy sake than measuring by the "cup" method. I have several sets of mixing and measuring cups, as well as sets of measuring spoons. And the frightening thing is that they all measure differently! So invest in a scale so the cookies (or muffins) that your kids love the best come out the same every time you make them. There are very reasonable scales around $20.00, and it's a very smart investment in my opinion. 

One last bit of info: These muffins last for days just like wheat muffins! I keep them in a zip lock baggie or an airtight container, or you can freeze them individually wrapped. : )

Jeanne's Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour  (one recipe makes 4 1/2 cups/660 g)
1 1/4 cups/170 g brown rice flour
1 1/4 cups/205 g white rice flour
1 cup/165 g sweet rice flour
1 cup/120 g tapioca flour/starch
scant 2 teaspoons xanthan gum

Whisk all together in a large bowl thoroughly. Transfer any remaining flour into an airtight container and store in a cool dark place about 6 weeks, or refrigerate for about 6 months. (Mine never lasts long enough to worry about keeping it. I do keep it and all of my bulk flours in canning jars, and it might last 2-3 days before I have to make more!)

GF Miracle Rice-Bran Muffins        Makes 12-15 regular sized muffins
Ingredients:
700 grams (3 cups) Jeanne's GF Flour Blend above-reserve 1 Tablespoon for dusting the rehydrated fruit
150 grams (2/3 cup) rice-bran, I use Bob's Red Mill
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder I use Calumet as it's aluminum free
1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda - I use Bob's Red Mill which has NO Aluminum which can give your baked goods a bitter taste and smell, not to mention that it's not healthy to eat, either
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
220 grams (1 cup packed) brown sugar
*75 grams honey granules*  this is a great product for sweetening without adding excess liquid/moisture. You can find this product at international grocery stores. If you want to use regular honey you must deduct the same amount from the buttermilk. If the batter is to thick or dry looking add more milk by the Tablespoon just until it's like thick waffle batter.
3 large eggs
100 grams (1/2 cup) unsalted butter - room temperature
2 Tablespoons EVOO or any other of your favorite oil
150 grams (3/4 cup) buttermilk
150 grams (3/4 cup) greek style plain unsweetened yoghurt or sourcream

Optional:
1/2 cup dried black currents
1/2 cup dried blueberries
1 1/2 cups water for rehydrating the dried fruit

Method:
Pre-heat your oven to 350ยบ.
Generously grease, butter, or spray with non-stick spray a 12 cup muffin tin, then drop 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar. Turn muffin tin sideways to coat the bottom and sides. This is in place of using muffin paper cups. You can of coarse use the papers if you wish. Set aside.

1. Dried fruit prep - Place the dried fruit into a microwave safe bowl with the water and nuke on high for three minutes. Let the fruit steep and rehydrate for about 10 minutes. Drain really well. They will be folded in by hand at the end of step 4.
2. In a medium bowl whisk together Jeanne's flour blend, xanthan gum, rice bran, Kosher salt, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of your stand mixer beat the butter, brown sugar, honey granules and oil until light colored and fluffy. 
4. Add the dry ingredients and the buttermilk alternatively, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Turn the mixer speed to medium-high and beat the mixture for 4-6 minutes. This allows the flour grains to rehydrate, and will form gluten-like strands that are helpful in this type of baking. Lastly, with a large silicone spatula, fold in the well drained and rehydrated fruit until well distributed.
5. Plop a large portion scoop into each cup. Bake about 20-25 minutes. A sharp knife inserted straight down into the top, no more than half way, should come out clean. Muffins will also spring back when the top is pushed, and will be golden brown.
A straight out of the oven muffin opened to show you 
the beautiful crumb, and texture! Fabulous!
Enjoy!


















No comments:

Post a Comment