Welcome To My Gluten Free Website!

Welcome To My Website!

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Eggs Benedict Sandwich On 
Gluten-Free English Muffins 
My oh my! This lovely breakfast entrée was offered on a menu at a local So Cal restaurant. Of course I wasn't able to order it due to the wheat based English muffin, but I could come home and make it!

First I would need to make fabulous gluten free English muffins, which I did, (and was a prior post), and I might add that the entire process was so satisfying. It far outshines a commercial breakfast sandwich that is advertised daily. In fact it kicks it in right in the pan!It took me several days worth of juggling events in my household so I could take the time to make the English muffins. I wanted them to turn out just right. I felt if I couldn't give them my undivided attention they would suffer, and then so would I. 



My Granddaughter Lela had "Special Persons " day at school yesterday for Kindergarteners. I went and it was so sweet. I sat with her at her desk while she was working on coloring an Easter packet. She briefly explained to me why Jesus died on the cross, and what Easter Sunday meant. Actually I point blank asked her what it meant, then I received a slightly brow furrowed quick side glance, as she matter of fact-ly answered my questions. You know that look, where I'm sure if we could read the teletype going on in those little heads it would indeed confirm that they think our heads are screwed on crooked. Or possibly sawdust was constantly leaking out of our ears. Her answers were right on the money! I smiled and told her she was 100% correct. She replied, "I know Nammie." I am apparently a complete dimwit.

Next we talked about a booklet each child had made coinciding with the "Hungry Caterpillar" story. It had a canvas area on each page to draw their own renditions of each pages story line. Several of her class mates showed me their renditions of what a fat, happy and hungry caterpillar should look like.  It was difficult to just say wow, that's a bright, big, amazing....caterpillar. Several of these kids are going to grow up to become professional cartoonists! I just wanted to laugh out loud so badly, but I didn't. We then went to Chapel where the middle schoolers performed music, and ran the display for the lyrics. The Pastor spoke of Easter and what it means to us as Lutherans and the world-wide salvation that is available to all people. We then went back to the class to have a light snack, tour the classroom where Lela would take me to each place that she had something personally displayed. We went through just about everything including how many pencil and pens, scissors, paper....they had to work with. Brings back memories of her Mama Candice,  Auntie Chelsea and Chris' special day events. I really miss those. 

At my children's elementary/Jr. High Parochial school towards the end of the school year, they always had an Event called "Expression Explosion."  This was "THE" big event to show all of each childs' hard work they had done throughout the school year. Families came and visited, walked through each classes displayed work, and ate dinner at school benches in the big play yard usually from Inn 'n' Out cooked right there from their mobile food truck. Following all of that, then there was a talent show in the auditorium. It was always packed and standing room only if you didn't get a seat.


When Chelsea was in fourth grade she had made an exterior diorama about Pocahantis and John Smith. A few years prior to this "Santa" had given her a really cool Native American play set that had everything from a fire pit, fish drying on wooden racks, a teepee, horses, Pocahantis and John Smith along with quite an assortment of era tools and lifestyle toys included. So on top of the box she formed a Native American home site from teepee to horses. The problem with the diorama was with the ponies and horses. She was standing next to it for me to come see it, and said, "Mom!" in a very hushed but firm under-the-breath whisper. I went over and asked what was wrong. She carefully looked around and then pointed to the horses and ponies. "Look!" she said. I looked but apparently didn't see what she did. Or did not, as the case became all too clear. I looked closer and started laughing, so did she, Candice and Gramma Shirley. Christopher, being his sweet little big-man-boy self loves to chew on his toys. He apparently had gotten ahold of these horses and ponies and had bitten off their ears and tails. She still got an "A!"

Lela wanted to go to Red Robin for her special lunch, so we did. She ordered the kids grilled cheese sandwich with mandarin oranges. She has loved those little oranges since she could start to finger feed herself. In fact her little computer aged brain would site and lock on those until she had gobbled them all up, then she would move on to the next item(s). 


We ran a couple of small errands including a quick trip to See's Candy. I ordered two dark chocolate yum-chious Bordeaux goodies, two dark cherries for Grampa, 2 orange bon-bons for Chris, and Lela wanted a chocolate lollipop and a dark chocolate cream piece. We were very happy and went home.


We got her all set up with her little art table and supplies. Then I pulled out a surprise packet of "sun catchers" that was really from valentines day, but she was happy to do them now. I also got out the hard boiled eggs and an egg coloring kit for her. She made a sweet picture for Grampa as he wan't feeling well yesterday. Then she settled in to do her projects.


Now it was Nammies turn to get busy. I assembled all of the ingredients needed for the English muffins, then got dinner started. After checking on Lela, I confidently started the English muffins. Hurray! They came together beautifully. I had purchased 8 English muffin rings (2 separate packs of 4 each) from Sur la Tablé a little while ago, even though the recipe I was inspiring myself with made them free style. I had actually bought them to form hamburger buns, which worked perfectly. So I made the dough, plopped it into the rings, covered them and they performed perfectly! They got cooked, shared, and we all went to English muffin heaven.


So, let's start with the muffins and go from there! Please see the English Muffin post for that recipe.

Eggs Benedict Sandwich On Gluten-Free English Muffins 

Ingredients:
one English muffin per person
one slice Canadian bacon per sandwich
one to two slices cooked bacon per sandwiches
one egg cooked to your specifications
one slice of cheddar or American cheese
freshly made Hollandaise sauce - recipe is included below (it's much easier than you think!)
salt and pepper

Fresh and Easy Hollandaise Sauce                   Makes About 2 Cups

Ingredients:
1/2 cup (1 stick) real butter

1/4 cup hot water
4 large egg yolks
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon table salt
OR
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt

Optional:
dash of cayenne pepper

**You will be either using an authentic double boiler or creating one by placing a saucepan over another saucepan of simmering water. Simmering water should never touch the bottom of the top pan with the food in it as it can scorch, curdle or even burn what you are cooking.

Directions:
1. In a heat proof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, melt the butter, then add the hot water and stir together until very hot but not boiling, and the butter should be completely melted. Remove from heat.
2. Add the unbeaten egg yolks to the buttered water all at once; and beat with and electric mixer or manual rotary beater for 2-3 minutes until the mixture has doubled in volume. Using a whisk, add the lemon juice, salt, and cayenne if using.
3. Check the water level and add a bit if needed in the bottom pan and bring to simmering. Place the mixture over simmering water again and cook, whisking constantly for 5 minutes or until thickened.
4. Remove the sauce from the heat and use immediately, or let it stand, uncovered until serving time. If you cover it, condensation will form, fall into the sauce and dilute it. 
5. To reheat: Place the pan over the water again and stir lightly for 2-3 minutes. The sauce may lose some of it's volume but will retain it's golden rich color and creaminess. Oh, and it will taste just as amazing!

On to sandwich assembly!

1. Split an English muffin

2. Add a slice of cheese 
3. Add the two slices of bacon 
4. Add one perfect egg 
5. Add one slice of Canadian bacon 
6. Add as much Hollandaise as you like! 
Can't hardly wait to take a bite! 
 Perfect egg.
It's absolutely incredible! 
I can't wait to have another one!
Hope you enjoy yours.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment