Welcome To My Gluten Free Website!

Welcome To My Website!

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Incredible Edible Waffles!


GF Incredible Edible Waffles

I've been making GF waffles for many months now. We've tried many different recipes but we keep coming back to this one in particular. They are extremely fragrant and flavorful; crisp on the outside but tender inside.
Two of the ingredients we love are coconut milk and coconut flour, although the coconut flavor is very mild. Coconut extract could be added for an even deeper coconut taste if you wish. We love coconut so I add it. 

You could also switch to non-coconut items, but understand that changes will obviously affect the make-up of the waffle batter. 

You'll also see that the recipe calls for ground flax seeds (also called flax seed meal), flax seeds can replace fats in recipes, so there aren't any other fats added. That way you can have butter on your lovely warm waffle and sigh with contentment!

I developed this recipe which I adapted from an old favorite standby cookbook, that I've had since 1974! 

It's The Family Circle Cookbook, ISBN 0-8129-0506-7, copyright 1974. 

I'm not sure what year it went out of print, but you might still be able to find one. If I can find it I'll post it for you. My Mom gave it to me for a wedding shower gift, and along side the red and white checked Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook, the Family Circle one has been my go-to favorite. The poor thing is becoming rather dilapidated, so I've decided to have it trimmed of it's binding spine and insert a spiral. The pages will flip much better, and it's what I do to all of my Master Chorale music books as it makes quicker, quieter page turning. Not that I must be quiet while I'm cooking, I'm sure that most of the time one would find me talking to myself.....lol...

We did have to laugh at ourselves eating these this last weekend. They are so yummy that we quickly devoured them! So the only photo I took is the one at the end of this post, where they are lined up on a cooling rack! 

These waffles are one of the items that my friend's boys absolutely love, so I make them about a dozen at a time. She then puts them in the freezer, then they just pop them into the toaster when they want some. Originally when she had to tell her son that he needed to go gluten free she said he cried because then he couldn't have waffles or pancakes. He was ecstatic to get these! Their whole family loves them. I hope you will too.

Okay! I made them again this morning and have pictures pertaining to the stages of instructions.

**There's a beaten egg white hint in #3 of the instructions!


 Gluten Free Incredible Edible Waffles


Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups very warm water
1/2 cup ground flax seeds (for more info go to www.mayoclinic.com/health/flaxseed)
4 Tablespoons dry buttermilk powder-optional, (if using buttermilk it's not necessary)
1/2 cup quinoa flour 
1 1/2 cups sweet rice flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
4 Tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/2 - 3 cups milk, coconut milk or buttermilk
4 large eggs, separated
1 1/2 teaspoons coconut extract - optional

Directions:
1. Pre-heat your waffle iron.
2. In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients and set aside.
3. Using a hand or stand mixer beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry, **(if you think you've over-beaten them you can add one more egg white. This relaxes the over-beaten ones a bit. Mix on high but not the highest speed just until stiff. The beater should pull the beaten white up into a peak when raised and they should stay without dropping. Beaten whites are not beaten sufficiently if they separate and you have leftover liquid underneath.)
4. Add the egg yolks to the 2 1/2 cups of whichever milk you've chosen, reserving the extra 1/2 cup in case it's needed, and mix lightly. Add the extract now if using it.
5. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing just until most of the dry ingredients are moistened, don't over beat, there should be some lumps in the batter. Your batter should be very thick at this point, but if you need to thin it a bit with the reserved milk you'll want to add it now before the egg whites.
#5 Wet and dry mixed together
6. FOLD the beaten egg whites into the batter using a rubber spatula, only until most of the whites are gently incorporated into the rest of the batter, there should be some lumps and streaks of whites when you're done.
#6 starting to fold in the egg whites

7. My Belgian waffle iron's large and cooks 4 pieces at a time = which is about  1 1/2 cups give or take of batter. Your waffle iron may be different. You may have an "ooze out" or not get a whole piece. Depending on what size your iron is, you may have to make batter amount adjustments.




Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment